Unattended disruptive behavioral traits can make or mar our relationships.
I once attended a learning session where I took a seat beside a gentle man. We hit up a conversation very quickly partly because he was the outgoing type and partly because I’m very comfortable sustaining a conversation once its been initiated.
First day over and we resumed day two since it was a three day program. Once I took my sitting position beside my new friend it was an excited me that sought to pick up our conversation from where we left off the previous day but something had changed. I noticed how my friend disregarded a question I directed at him choosing instead to talk to another person across the table! It had been a while that I was disrespected in that manner. Me ignored?! Me, fine girl small pimples! Lol. The guy gave me a cold attitude throughout the remainder of the training.
It was only on reflection that I managed to diagnose what actually went wrong.
Thing was on the first day I had left the training without so much as saying a good bye. I left before the class ended – for personal reasons. And my friend took it personal. I realized that his personality valued being acknowledged as opposed to being overlooked the way I did. Evidently, I hadn’t given enough attention to adjusting my ‘get up and go’ disposition-something I presume comes from a place of acute independence. And he, couldn’t overlook what was interpreted to be a ‘disregard’ of his person. At some point however, we both made attempts to salvage the friendship but it wasn’t enough. Ultimately both of our unattended destructive behaviors cost us what perhaps would’ve been a good relationship.
We can all do better.
Have a story to share on some untamed behavior & repercussions?
#personalityhacks #behaviouralmodels #workmotivation #workplaceattitude #collaboratewithease #productivity#productivityhacks #training

Comments
Post a Comment