Skip to main content

I Just Can’t Please My Boss!

 


Just last month at a training where I was facilitating, a participant asked me a question that seemed to have been a burden for quite some time. The questioner was young and I could sense the frustration in his voice.

“…Nothing I do is ever enough for my boss. I have tried and it seems she’s just too difficult to work with. How do you manage working for someone like that?”

In spite of his evident stress, I didn’t proceed to proffer an answer to his question, I decided instead to ask him a couple of simple yet pointed questions:

1.   Do you believe that your boss’ behavior is targeted at you or is this a general disposition across other team members?

2.   Do you imagine that your boss’ behavior is directed not just to you but also to herself?

He couldn’t answer any of my questions categorically perhaps he hadn’t been quite observant?

I believe that finding answers to these simple questions will be vital to understanding what it is that is ‘wrong’ with this young man’s manager. The attendant results to these findings would be most rewarding. I will discuss these in a bit.

You see, certain kinds of misunderstandings needn’t happen at all in the workplace – but they do.

Personality based conflicts are real and can fester if feuding parties have no idea how to tackle same.

When the young man described his boss, the picture of a person with a ‘High C’ behavioral style came to my mind. Could his boss’ behavioral style be the culprit here?

Persons with ‘High C’ [According to D.I.S.C Behavioral Model], are CRITICAL not just of others but especially of themselves. In that sense, all efforts by their team is never good enough. Their quest for perfection means all ‘I’s have to be dotted and all ‘T’s’ have to be crossed.

To an ‘untrained eye’ such a person is difficult and cannot be pleased but nothing can be farther from the truth.

If my dear young man is able to get to the ‘bottom of the behavioral matter,’ he can finally rest easy and know that his boss’ behavior has nothing to do with witch hunting and that he need not take it personal.

As difficult as it is sometimes to work with someone with a ‘High C’ style, these set of individuals bring a great deal of value to the table where organizational management and success is concerned.

They display an impeccable eye for detail which enable organizations stretch and deliver premium quality where their value proposition is concerned. A ‘High C’ style will bend backward for an organization whose cause they believe in and they would rather not be on your team than stay in and not be opportune or given a chance to do a thorough job.

Like I said earlier and for this my young friend, the benefits of gaining understanding of the behavioral style for this boss would be worth the effort. He would amongst other things be able to:

1.   Have his peace back, easing out feelings of frustration, resentment or debilitating fear as the case may be where interactions with his boss his concerned.

2.   Modify his own behavior in dealings with his boss by getting to ask the right questions and gaining understanding – and delivering on the particular expectations of his manager.

3.   Increase his productivity to significant levels [especially in the eyes of his boss] and could perhaps earn him a much needed advancement within the business.

All the best to you my dear friend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Agile HR (3)

HR has definitely come a long way. Many  #HR  professionals have made impressive success aiding their organizations in navigating multiple disruptions. Many also have managed to keep up to speed with best practices with regards to  #practices  ,  #processes  and  #policies  . What appears to be a limiting factor though is where  #HR  has no clue as to why these practices are in place and therefore are unable to sustain such for long term benefits. For example, what is the purpose of Psychological Safety in a knowledge economy? What is the value drivable from a Servant/True Leadership model? And what is the essence of Employee Experience (EX) for employee engagement and retention? Any ideas? Please share.

THE PSYCHOLOGY OF RESPECT

For those who undermine the value of respect in their organizations, choosing rather to look the other way or underplay the unsavory impact of disrespect as a cultural norm, Training Industry’s PSYCHOLOGY OF LEADING WITH RESPECT survey shows that culture of disrespect within organizations resulted in: 1. Decreased Productivity 2. Lost time 3. Additional Costs. My take is that discerning leaders will do well to courageously address norms of disrespect. They will as a result save their organisations from attendant and perhaps unintended but sinister consequences. Do look out as I share my thoughts on the subject of RESPECT in the workplace for the rest of the week! But meanwhile, you can watch snippet of my presentation on IMPACT OF RESPECT & CULTURAL NORMS IN AGILE at the Women in Africa Conference (WIA) 2022. https://lnkd.in/dJk6-eZx

Feedback Postures

For a very long time and for some inexplicable reason, I believed that feedback was a fundamental human right.  So it rattled me un-end in scenarios where I expected feedback & it never came. With my line of work as trainer and facilitator, I have experienced a significant number of instances where program organizers would worry participants about session evaluations but did absolutely nothing with the information garnered much less convey to facilitators! As I grew older however, I had to let go of my beliefs around feedback. And where it really matters I would literally demand it. Over time, I have come to realize that not everyone is as vested in the idea of continuous improvement. Somewhere deep down inside though, I wish that they did care. Why? Because successful people, systems, start-ups, organizations & nations have consistently elevated the quality of value and service delivery largely because of the premium placed on harnessing feedback from service offerings ...