Skip to main content

So What are you About?



Just last week I listened to @ivie-temitayo-ibitoye share on how she started her work as a Recruitment Consultant. The event was @bankolewilliams New Employment Strategies for Africa virtual event. In response to @gbengatotoyi mention of the need to imbibe writing skills in boosting employ-ability opportunities, Ivie spoke about how some years ago, by writing & sharing tips for effective recruitment on Instagram, (something she was truly deeply passionate about) she unexpectedly attracted the attention of an interested client.

The client had gone ahead to ask about her services & charges. Shocked, she quickly conferred with her colleagues on a suitable response format & later went on to deliver her ‘consulting services’ to the satisfaction of her first client. Imagine? Today Ivie is a force to be reckoned with in her domain. Hearing her speak, you know she is the real deal.

Her story immediately took me back some months ago where without warning I received a message in my inbox from a Nigerian focused but Canadian based group requesting that I speak at a learning session. According to the founder who reached out, he had been following my work & writings on #Agility via #LinkedIn. Was I shocked! The job done, and while still reveling in the positive outcome, I had another message again in my inbox also from a Canadian based company, this time with respect to a training collaboration for businesses in the region. All of these aside increasing local opportunities… It’s surreal just thinking about it: accessing opportunities simply from sharing on my areas of interest – from sharing from my CORE!

Thing is, I have been speaking, writing & teaching about #agility, #learning & #growth #mindset long before it became a #COVID-19 imperative. To my mind Agility is the panacea to disruptive phenomena regardless of what type it is, be it disruptive technology, shifts in consumer behaviour, accessing new markets, #COVID-19 you name it.

It is about intentionally & habitually stepping back & looking at your systems, people & practices with a new set of eyes in order to create and re-create – for relevance. It is about shifting grounds & adapting in order evolve & to thrive.

To me, #Agility isn’t an event or a program to be executed. It is rather, largely, a posture & a mindset to be adopted. It’s your license to winning in a new world that keeps evolving on steroids. For people & organisations with fixed mindsets it’s easy to see how navigating these new terrains will remain a constant challenge.

Let me quickly say here that I believe that my flair for #Agility comes from innately being Growth driven and is a philosophy that drives not just my work but my life as well.

So what are you predisposed to? What is at your core? What are you really about? What can you share with your community? Your answer might be a cue to where your gold lies. I hope that just like mine & Ivie’s story goes, I have been able to reinforce that much.

Here’s cheers to your Agility!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Agile HR (3)

HR has definitely come a long way. Many  #HR  professionals have made impressive success aiding their organizations in navigating multiple disruptions. Many also have managed to keep up to speed with best practices with regards to  #practices  ,  #processes  and  #policies  . What appears to be a limiting factor though is where  #HR  has no clue as to why these practices are in place and therefore are unable to sustain such for long term benefits. For example, what is the purpose of Psychological Safety in a knowledge economy? What is the value drivable from a Servant/True Leadership model? And what is the essence of Employee Experience (EX) for employee engagement and retention? Any ideas? Please share.

THE PSYCHOLOGY OF RESPECT

For those who undermine the value of respect in their organizations, choosing rather to look the other way or underplay the unsavory impact of disrespect as a cultural norm, Training Industry’s PSYCHOLOGY OF LEADING WITH RESPECT survey shows that culture of disrespect within organizations resulted in: 1. Decreased Productivity 2. Lost time 3. Additional Costs. My take is that discerning leaders will do well to courageously address norms of disrespect. They will as a result save their organisations from attendant and perhaps unintended but sinister consequences. Do look out as I share my thoughts on the subject of RESPECT in the workplace for the rest of the week! But meanwhile, you can watch snippet of my presentation on IMPACT OF RESPECT & CULTURAL NORMS IN AGILE at the Women in Africa Conference (WIA) 2022. https://lnkd.in/dJk6-eZx

Feedback Postures

For a very long time and for some inexplicable reason, I believed that feedback was a fundamental human right.  So it rattled me un-end in scenarios where I expected feedback & it never came. With my line of work as trainer and facilitator, I have experienced a significant number of instances where program organizers would worry participants about session evaluations but did absolutely nothing with the information garnered much less convey to facilitators! As I grew older however, I had to let go of my beliefs around feedback. And where it really matters I would literally demand it. Over time, I have come to realize that not everyone is as vested in the idea of continuous improvement. Somewhere deep down inside though, I wish that they did care. Why? Because successful people, systems, start-ups, organizations & nations have consistently elevated the quality of value and service delivery largely because of the premium placed on harnessing feedback from service offerings ...